Biomedical Structures (BMS), manufacturer of biomedical textile implants with application in orthopaedics, was acquired by Confluent Medical Technologies, a contract manufacturer of Nitinol components and kyphoplasty balloons. Terms were not disclosed.
Confluent also purchased Modified Polymer Components (MPC), which does not support orthopaedic applications. The combined company will offer customers a single-source solution for cost-competitive medical device contract manufacturing, testing and design services.
BMS' services range from concept design to full production, supply chain management and post-manufacturing sterilization and packaging. Its orthopaedic applications include sutures; knee, shoulder and spinal implants; soft tissue repair (ligaments, tendons, extremities, etc.); spinal/cervical disc repair containment sleeves and meshes, etc.
Confluent Medical, BMS and MPC were all portfolio companies of Ampersand Capital Partners, which will remain a significant investor in the integrated company.
Sources: Confluent Medical Technologies, ORTHOWORLD Inc.
From the Archives:
Supplier Consolidation Continues with Greatbatch’s Acquisition of Lake Region, BONEZONE October 2015
Consolidation at the hospital level and the OEM level has led to significant M&A activity on the supplier side in 2014 and 2015. Considering the M&A activity from 2011 to present among companies that Greatbatch cites as its top orthopaedic competitors is a reminder of the private investments that have backed the larger suppliers, positioning them to make purchases in recent years.
- Accellent: Acquired Lake Region in 2014; purchased by Greatbatch 2015
- Avalign Technologies: Acquired by private-equity firm Arlington Capital Partners from RoundTable Healthcare Partners in 2015
- IMDS: Acquired by Golden Equity Investments and grouped with newly formed affiliate CoorsTek Medical in 2013; CoorsTek Medical acquired Nanosurface Industries in 2014
- Orchid Orthopedic Solutions: Acquired by private-equity fund Altor in 2011; acquired Alhenia in 2015
- Sandvik: Medical Solutions division acquired by Altor (Orchid Orthopedic Solutions) in 2012
- Symmetry: Acquired Codman & Shurtleff surgical instruments and Olsen Medical in 2011; Symmetry Medical OEM Solutions acquired by Tecomet in 2014
- Paragon: Acquired by Beecken Petty O'Keefe private equity firm in 2013; acquired Michael Bubolz medical device business segment in 2015
- Tecomet: Acquired Teleflex OEM orthopaedic business in 2012; acquired by Genstar Capital in 2013; acquired 3D Medical Manufacturing and Symmetry Medical OEM Solutions in 2014